Despite the fact that I grew up in the States (with several years of it on the East Coast – did you know I lived in Pittsburgh as a kid?), I’ve never been to NYC. I know… I can’t believe it! It’s such an iconic city and everyone raves about how amazing it is, so it’s been high on my list of dream destinations. So when Ray and Carmela invited me to visit, how can I pass that up?!
Technically, I stayed in New Jersey (at Ray’s mom’s place). But “3 weeks in New Jersey” doesn’t have the same kind of ring as “3 weeks in New York” does, right? So forgive me for stretching the truth a bit. But hey, some parts of Jersey is practically New York, no?
These weeks were so much fun! In fact, it was originally supposed to be only a 2 week visit. But we were having such a good time that I extended it by another week. From Thanksgiving with their family to trips into the city to late movie nights, this trip has so many moments precious to me.
Before I start writing detailed posts on my 3 weeks, here’s what it looked like in numbers! These are all the big and small moments I want to remember when I look back on this trip.
– 12 nights originally planned; had so much fun that I extended it by another 7 days.
– 3 delicious Thanksgivings (Ray’s family, Carmela’s family, and a Friends-giving); tons of really good food, both Filipino and American.
– 1 night before Thanksgiving at Ray’s aunt’s house next door learning to cook some Filipino dishes, followed by Magic Mike karaoke.
– 5 days spent with Ray’s sister and her 3 rowdy boys when they came to stay. Every night, we’d be up with them until the wee hours of the morning, playing silly games or watching Netflix.
– 6 trips into New York City: 4 days exploring Manhattan, and –
– 2 days eating our way through Brooklyn
– More than 50 miles covered on foot in NYC.